Diligent Child Support Attorneys Provide Legal Guidance in Chester, Delaware and Montgomery County
Giving custodial parents the legal support and guidance they need
Starting a family can be expensive. Many couples raise their children together by sharing their salaries. After a divorce, however, the custodial parent may be left wondering how to take care of the children on one income. At Platt, DiGiorgio & DiFabio, our child support attorneys represent parents seeking child support in Pennsylvania. We recognize that obtaining child support may be vital to your ability properly to raise your children, and we are prepared to utilize every resource at our disposal to help you.
Enforcing child support
Child support is a payment made by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent. The court determines who obtains custody and who pays support based on the best interests of the child and the financial situation of each parent. If the paying parent fails to make payments, he or she may face serious consequences.
A divorce lawyer can explain to you that the following actions are used to enforce a child support order:
- Property liens. A spouse who fails to pay child support may have a lien placed on his or her property, making it difficult to sell the property and also making the debt a matter of public record.
- Jail or probation. The court may order a child support payor to serve jail time or probation for up to six months for refusing to pay child support.
- Interception of lottery winnings or federal tax refunds. The non-custodial parent’s tax refunds or lottery winnings may be seized if he or she fails to make child support payments.
- License suspension. The non-custodial parent’s driver’s license, professional license and/or recreational license may be suspended to enforce support payment.
- Passport denial. The court may issue a denial on the validation of a non-custodial parent’s passport if he or she has missed several child support payments.
Each child support lawyer at our Paoli law firm recognizes how important obtaining child support is for you and your children. We are prepared to stand by your side and fight for your rights.
Contact our Paoli attorneys today for assistance with child support issues
Platt, DiGiorgio & DiFabio has nearly a century of combined experience helping custodial parents obtain child support in Pennsylvania. To speak to one of our attorneys, call us today at 267-388-1599 or contact us online.